A hundred years ago, chose products. Today choose manufacturers. The best manufacturers, experts in the business.
One of the ways to secure the status of an expert is to conduct a master class on behalf of the owner, director or any other business representative.
The advantages of MK:
- close contact with the target audience and increasing brand loyalty;
- opportunity to stand out among competitors;
- access to an audience that is not reachable via the Internet;
- content for other communication channels (photo, video, info guide, case);
- the opportunity to get free brand references on print posters and in the events section of city portals;
- public speaking skills training.
Other things being equal, I will choose the car service center, the owner of which conducts the MK to diagnose the car. And the coffee shop where young barista is trained. And you?
A master class can be held by any person who knows and is able to do more than the Central Class A master class. Since everyone in his sphere knows more than others, everyone is able to spend microns.
Why am I talking about this? He spent on the stage more than 8,000 hours, became the winner of the III degree of the international competition of public speaking "Cicero 2017". He taught oratorical and acting skills. I have 50 training sessions and 200 training events. I consider myself an expert in public speaking. I will make a reservation, the expert is not the one who knows the topic better than anyone. But the one who has something to learn.
It is easier to go forward than in the right direction.
The first in the preparation of MK - to decide what it is for. That is, we are determined with a specific problem that we will solve with the help of microns, and set a goal.
For example, you are the owner of a wedding agency. At the beginning of each season you encounter the following problems:
- newlyweds with a limited budget and unlimited requirements;
- lack of organization and complete shifting of responsibility of the pairs working with you;
- lack of understanding of the essence of your work by potential clients.
If we wanted to solve all three problems with one master class, we would have a hard time. Therefore, we choose one of the problems and turn it into a goal.
Choose a problem: lack of organization and complete shifting of responsibility of the pairs working with you.
Then the goal of MK: teach newlyweds basic self-organization skills, change their attitude to the work of the wedding agency and the division of responsibilities.
Another example. You are the owner of a sporting goods store.
Problem: Customers do not know how to choose sports shoes for running and do not trust the sellers in this matter too much.
Target MK: to train customers in choosing sports shoes and to increase the level of trust in sellers.
When the MK goal is formed, a picture of its achievement emerges. The next step we select the criteria for achieving the goal. These criteria will help determine among all possible ways of achieving the goal those that are right for us.
Does a person use a method or a method uses a person?
There are a lot of ways to achieve the goal. Ice cream can be bought at any of the 20 stores in the area and via the Internet. Mk on the technique of running you can spend hundreds of ways with dozens of different theoretical data or put people on a treadmill.
To limit the options to achieve the goal and choose the best, we use criteria. Criteria are how we will go towards the goal and how we will understand that we have achieved it. They limit the ways to achieve the goal.
There are criteria for the circumstances and selection criteria.
Criteria of circumstances are dictated from the outside, and we cannot influence them or it is difficult and irrational. Selection criteria, we, as is evident from the name, choose.
Now about the criteria for example.
Problem: bought a large batch of premium tea, no demand.
Target MK: acquaint customers with new products, change their attitude to the premium segment of tea, collect contacts for SMS sending.
Criteria of circumstances:
- own premises;
- Sunday morning, the biggest average check;
- worker Masha gets along well with people and is not afraid of the public;
- a week after a city holiday;
- Near offices are small IT companies.
Criterias of choice:
- MK duration 60 minutes;
- there is a tea shop next door, and we can work with them;
- on Sunday, not all Masha buns are sold, some of which we can offer for tea to participants for free;
- At the end of the MC, we will offer to exchange contacts for a discount and send a discount via SMS;
- since they promise rains, it would be good to negotiate with the taxi company a discount for the participants of the MC, and we will write them to the sponsors for this;
- at the end we will hold a quiz for the best knowledge of our tea and award the person with a gift set.
Attention, criteria are not a plan, but limitations and ideas on how you want to conduct your master class. With their help, a plan is created, in our case, the structure of microns.
When preparing, review your criteria. It often happens that over time some criteria cease to be relevant, and others appear.
When the driver looks for new ways, the car goes off the rails
Emil the Meek
Site selection is a stumbling block for many microns.
This section is relevant for those who hold the event in a strange room. If you have your own site, but it does not meet 50% of the criteria stated below, think about choosing a third-party room.
The choice of site depends on how you attract the audience:
- this may be a new audience for you and for the site;
- audience familiar with your product;
- or audience of the site, not familiar with your product.
If you are attracting a new audience or an audience familiar with your product, consider the following:
- convenient location (proximity to the city center, bus stops, parking, possibly, bicycle parking, places of reference nearby);
- the convenience of location in the building (not exactly the tenth floor with a non-working elevator, the best entrance from the street or the first and second floors in the building with a clear scheme of passage);
- availability of the required number of seats (chairs) + 5 more spare;
- availability of a projector if necessary + if possible one more spare;
- the presence of the administrator, if you do not have your own person to meet guests;
- the ability to organize a coffee break if necessary;
- the presence of marker boards or flipcharts, sheets, writing markers and other consumables as needed.
If you create microns for the audience of the site itself (art-space, cafe, training center), in addition to the points indicated, consider the following:
- compliance of the site and its capabilities with your goal;
- compliance of the audience with the site of your chosen goal;
- Attendance of events of this place;
- main channels of communication with customers;
- additional criteria indicating the site’s compliance or non-compliance with your target.
We find out the above as follows:
- We analyze social networks, community members, topics discussed in comments and published invitations to master classes.
- We ask site administrators about which clients come to them, which events are most popular, and which, on the contrary, fail.
- We ask the site administration to launch a survey on social networks in order to find out if your topic is interesting to their clients, or come to one of the most popular events of the site and independently analyze the audience, correlate with the target audience.
- We go to the events of the site and during breaks we talk with visitors, ask if they would be interested in your topic, it is still useful to talk to the speakers, find out what they like and dislike in this site.
- We spend our MC and analyze who came, collect feedback, find out whether the expectations were met, what was pleasant and what could be done better, etc.
Let us consider the described example.
Business: sale of electronic cigarettes.
Problem: low sales of wipes (electronic cigarettes) for smoke tricks.
Target micron: increase sales of premium products created specifically for smoke tricks, change the attitude to electronic cigarettes from the usual alternative to a fashion accessory that gives a certain status.
1) Vape Bar "001":
- spacious smoking room with exhaust hood;
- colorful lights that perfectly highlight the smoke;
- Vape clubs meet here;
- located in the center of the city, entrance from the street, parking near the offices, which is empty in the evenings;
- their clients just come to the bar pages in social networks rarely come in, they learn about events by posters at the entrance and from bartenders;
- about 2/3 of visitors smoke vape, have an average income or higher;
- on weekdays on Thursday the biggest average check.
- We can agree on a free conduct of MK, presenting this as a mutual fire.
2) Educational center "Knowledge":
- occupy a pair of connected premises of the third floor in an office building;
- poorly ventilated room, you need to leave for a few hours;
- Visitors of the center have hardly heard anything about vaps. If you hold an event here, then invite your clients or vape fan club;
- it is impossible to agree on a free conduct.
The principle is simple - a platform suitable for the criteria. After selecting the premises, we review the criteria of circumstances and selection criteria. For example, if we choose the bar "001", we adapt to their schedule of events and conditions.
If we do a master class under the audience of the site, we choose the topic after the premise. If the topic is important to us first, then vice versa.
What teachers have digested, the students feed on
The topic is what you already know and what the students want to know.
It is selected on the basis of the MK system: purpose, criteria of circumstances and choice, site.
It usually happens like this: either the topic is clear right away, or there are some good options, or nothing comes to mind at all.
With the first option, everything is clear. In the second version, run all the variants according to the criteria. Which is better fit, leave that. If it does not help, ask 10 representatives of the target audience that they like.
If nothing comes to mind, the topics can be taken in thematic blogs, educational courses, sections of books, or at least in YouTube videos.
In the section of the site, we gave an example with the sale of "vape". Their topic, after reading all the criteria, becomes obvious - "Master class on vape tricks."
An example of a search topic.
Business: Retail sale of stationery.
Problem: a new budget line of products is practically not for sale.
Target micron: change the attitude to the budget line of office supplies, collect a base for sending offers, sell some products at a discount for a sample.
Criteria of circumstances:
- workers who we call will not arrive outside office hours or will be dissatisfied with this, you should also do the MK closer to the middle of the week so that they are not busy with Monday planning meetings and Friday rush jobs;
- we can give up to 30% discount on the first order;
- we have 10 customers who are asking for discounts on the main line, but refused to try the budget.
Criterias of choice:
- stationery should be tried with hands so that people feel that they do not feel the difference between cheaper and more expensive goods;
- Ideal for office space, where it is possible to show work on standard equipment;
- everyone thinks about their profit, we can offer responsible workers a free lunch after the MK.
- The platform is best to choose your office in the presence or part of the office of any of the companies, if they agree to this.
Theme options. In the form of a title, it can be "How to save money on office supplies" or "Where money flows when buying office supplies."
It is important that your topic and, accordingly, the name of the event at the same time reflect the essence of the IC and attract the attention of Central Asia. Is there a topic? We go further, we proceed directly to writing MK.
Master Class Structure
People come to the theater not to watch tears, but to listen to speeches
Do you think that master classes only come for knowledge?
The main reasons to come to your MK:
- social proof of the status of "spontaneous";
- spend time in a pleasant company and in general in society;
- get some knowledge and use in your life (if your topic is relevant).
For the first and second conferences, photo-zones and networking zones are made at conferences, for the rest they read reports. We focus on the latter, but we do it so that everyone is comfortable.
The latter, who came for knowledge, are divided into subtypes:
- people who do not know what to do and how, but they know why;
- people who know what to do, but do not know how to do it;
- people who know everything but do not;
- people who know everything, do, come to improve their level of knowledge.
For the first who do not know what to do and how, create introductory master classes, construct a foundation, a system that they will fill.
Example: "Introduction to the barista profession: 10 reasons for and 5 against."
For the second who do not know how to do, create advanced workshops, reveal the "secrets" of the profession that you have learned over the years.
Example: "How to raise a genius: educational games for your children."
For the third, which everyone knows, but does not, create workshops (practice-oriented workshops) that impart work, showing that practice is not so scary.
Example: "Do not go too far. Master-class on cooking soups."
For the fourth who came to raise the level of knowledge, create highly specialized workshops.
Example: "How to set up auto-buzzers on VKontakte mailings".
Who will come to you? Is the chosen theme suitable for them?
Great teachers! When speaking, do not plug your ears.
Introduction is the beginning. At first, you listen most attentively. Your task is to keep attention until the end of the u.
Classic introduction strategy:
- Give motivation;
- Confirm your expert status;
- Include the motivation of participants;
- Write a plan.
The task of this unit - show who will be the audience after the end of your master class.
One of the formulas of motivation: a description of the knowledge, skills or abilities that the client will have and a specific example of their use.
Example: "You will learn to chop firewood in three ways and be able to prepare firewood for the Siberian bath."
Confirm your expert status
The task of this unit - show that you are fit for the role of teacher. Excellent help reception "Numbers and numbers." Try to list the number of hours spent at work in their field. Or the number of consultations, procedures. You can find something else. In numbers, “great experience” looks more convincing.
Once she advised a client on a resume, she is a PhD in law and taught at the university at that time. We calculated how many academic hours she spent in the role of teacher. Over 10,000 out! This is the effect, the client herself was shocked. By the way, she was offered a position higher than expected.
Example: "During my life, I repaired more than 1,000 mobile phones and 300 tablets. The average repair time is 4 hours with components. 90% of clients never returned to me with the same technique."
Enable member motivation
Block task - remind participants what they are here for.
It is realized by a simple question: "What knowledge do I want to take with me from this master class?"
Example: "After our workshop on food photography for Instagram, what will you photograph first?"
Give a plan
Block task - to tell how you will bring listeners from the place where they are now to their goal. And create a system to fill it with knowledge.
The plan in the form of points is good, to say "simple human language" is excellent, and together it is generally wonderful.
Example: "Today, you will learn how to come up with new ideas. I will tell you about two techniques of creating ideas, and you will put each into practice, and we also have a mini brainstorm."
Another item is possible.
Meet the participants
The task of the unit is to prepare for joint work and relieve tension.
Example: "circle of interests". You ask a question on a specific topic. Example for mobile photography courses: "What was the last photo you posted on Instagram?" And "Name the song you last sang in the shower" is great for the MC on vocals.
When studying science, examples are more useful than rules.
How Newton is right! I hope you like the examples in this article. The more examples and case studies, the better the understanding.
Several principles of learning:
- theory gives insight;
- examples and practical exercises teach how to apply what has become clear;
- during the execution of tasks additional questions arise, this problem is solved by feedback;
- the resource of people's attention is limited, according to various studies it ranges from 7 to 25 minutes;
- the resource of attention is renewed when the activity changes.
Based on the principles outlined above, a repetitive learning cycle is built.
The task of the theoretical part - explain and show how this works. We turn focus into a trick, and magic into technology.
Method "Active Lecture"
We take a dry informative text and divide it into thematic blocks of 5-7 minutes each.It's great to create a special kind of “information delivery” for each block, using not only text, but also audio, images, tactile sensations, smells, etc.
Example: I want to teach me how to make wooden photo frames, and my block is “covering the frame with varnish”. Instead of just saying “cover with a matte varnish, otherwise it will be bad, drag the brush slowly back and forth, but not here and there” do the following: bring examples of frames without a varnish and with poor application. "Here the frame has rotted, and here are inaccurate strokes, so that this does not happen, put a matte varnish and drive back and forth." Visually, informative, understandable.
After 3-4 blocks of the theory, we fix the information with practice.
The task of the practical part - learn to act independently. Doing the "trick" yourself, you really understand that this is a trick.
You know, you are reading this article right now, and, probably, your hands are itching to write your micron. Most likely, if you don’t bother to write your micron right now, your hands will "comb". Also with participants MK. If they do not try it themselves, knowledge will be lost.
Example: we are conducting a master class on resume writing and have already told about 7 major mistakes. We can combine the participants into 2-3 groups, give them the task to find errors in the resume-example and suggest improvements.
When choosing practical exercises, remember the tasks of the theoretical part.
Feedback task - raise the remaining questions of the participants and once again consolidate the main ideas of the theory.
Example: You can ask the following questions:
- "What do I remember best?";
- "What can I apply in my life or work?";
- "What did I like the most?";
- "What can I add to what the speaker said?" other.
Your PC can fit in one training cycle, about 60 minutes, and maybe in several. Then every 2-3 cycles, pause.
Estimated time for each part of the learning cycle:
- 3-4 blocks of theory - 15-20 minutes;
- Practice - 15-30 minutes;
- Feedback - 10-15 minutes.
Suppose our micron for a musical instrument store and we teach the basics of playing the guitar. The main part may look like this.
Learning cycle I
- block. Acquaintance with the device of the guitar: soundboard, neck, pegs, strings.
- block. Guitar position for playing, hand position.
One participant sits in the center on a chair, picks up a guitar, shows the position of the hands, tells about the device of the guitar, the remaining participants correct if he is mistaken. Later, the remaining participants take turns for a minute pick up the guitar, imitate the correct position of the hands.
Participants answer questions:
- "What feelings did you have when holding a guitar in your hands?";
- "Was it comfortable to hold the guitar in that position?";
- "Would you like to hold the guitar in your hands?"
Learning cycle II
- block. Sounds extracted on the guitar. Sounds of open strings, notes.
- block. Types of games. Hand play, play pick.
The participants join in pairs, having one guitar per pair. They are invited to play the beginning of the melody from the song of the group "Metallica - Nothing Else Matters", which is played on open strings. A mediator is allocated to the group so that the participants try both techniques of the game. Initially, the presenter shows the technique of the game, then in groups the participants try to repeat. The leader takes turns to approach each group. The goal of this exercise is to show that even beginners can play beautiful music from a cult composition.
Participants answer questions:
- "What feelings did you have when playing this tune?";
- "Which technique is more convenient to play and why?";
- "Would you like to play more?"
At this you can finish MK and offer guitars at a discount.
If the audience is active and gives positive feedback, you can do it.
Education is what remains when everything learned is forgotten.
What is left in the heads of the participants after the main part? What will they take home with them?
The conclusion is, on the one hand, the opportunity to once again consolidate what has been passed, on the other hand, to get feedback on the whole of its organization.
Three stages of conclusion:
- Take stock of training.
- Complete the training.
- Collect feedback.
To summarize the training
The task of the stage is to consolidate the theses of the main part.
Example: participants are invited to take turns in chronological order to recall the events that occurred during MK. It may look like this:
- "I went in and sat down on a chair";
- "You went on stage and greeted us";
- "You talked about the importance of self-education in our time";
- "We conducted an acquaintance exercise," and so on.
Such an exercise will make it possible to restore the MK events in the head, to link them with images, to recall the main theses. It may be easier - repeat the theses yourself.
Complete the training
Task phase - switch the activities of the participants. Training is over, you can relax.
One of the ways to make this switch is an easy and fun game. Great game for kids, which you can google in large quantities.
Example: participants mk sit in a circle, holding hands. Lead u sits among them. The presenter makes waves with his hands, that is, if he raises his right hand, the wave goes to the right, and likewise the one sitting to the right of the presenter raises his hand. And then sitting to the right of him, and so on. The fun begins when the trainer starts a few waves, and even one of them in the other direction. With the help of this exercise, you will switch the attention of the participants, relax them and complete the training phase.
Task phase - get feedback on the training and on the condition of the participants, give them the remaining emotions.
Example This feedback collection is an exercise called "Weather Forecast". Participants are invited to submit that they give a weather forecast for their internal state. First, they describe what kind of weather they came with, then how it changed during MK, what has become now and what is expected in the near future.
With the help of this exercise, you give expressing accumulated emotions without unnecessary and personal details. If your audience is "too serious" for such exercises, you can restrict yourself to the question "What will you take with you from this master class?" or "What was the most useful for you at this master class?".
If the weather has improved during your course, or they took a lot for themselves, you did it, I congratulate you.
Doing business without advertising is like winking at girls in complete darkness.
Stuart Henderson Britt
As mentioned in the chapter on site selection, you can promote yourself or entrust it to the site itself. If you are preparing an MK for the audience of the site, the most important thing is working with the main channel of communication.
The main channels of communication with customers can be:
- social network community;
- social network partners;
- advertising in social networks;
- calls to the contact database;
- billboard in the area of the site;
- posters in the city / places.
The main errors from the sites:
- unprofessional work with social networks. This includes the time of posts, their format, work with comments, features of each of the social networks;
- weak texts. This is about the lack of a fascinating headline and information about the speaker, about unreadable contacts, no call, and so on;
- squandering base crm potential. This is about what you can do SMS, call with a proposal, write to Viber or WatsApp;
- there is more design in the billboard than the essence. This is about the text on the poster and about busting with graphic frills.
A drop sharpens a stone not by force, but by frequent falling
Master class - a tool that will help you:
- Secure the status of an expert.
- Raise the level of knowledge of your customers.
- Find new customers.
- Get published in the media.
To make a master class, you need:
- Know about the subject more than the target audience.
- Read this manual.
- Follow the recommended steps.
Rumor has it that if you share this article in social networks right now, you will get even better.
Perseverance in learning, good luck in battle! Let your microns conquer the hearts of listeners and stay in their minds for a long time.
P. S. Read to the end - bonus checklists to prepare for MK and 5 posters based on this article. Download the link