About a man can say a lot by analyzing his speech. How old is he, what gender is he, how educated, what social group does he belong to. Imitate someone else's speech is very difficult. Therefore, the texts that copywriters write in the lively spoken language of the client usually look surprisingly false.
Something like this:
I do not believe!
The text imitates the spontaneous conversation of two young girls, but it turns out unconvincingly. Living people don't talk like that.
Where does this inappropriate enthusiasm for a community on the social network come from? They do not live in the XXI century? They do not have "Yandex"? And why does one girl so easily admit that she envies the beauty of another? Wow, what a reflection. It is easier for people to strangle themselves in life than to admit their envy.
Let's figure out how to do it right.
Why imitate someone's speech?
This gives the words weight and helps remove the barrier of distrust. It is pleasant for people to know that the goods are offered to them by a person who thinks with them on the same wave and enters their pack.
For the average person, for example, the words "parsing", "targeting", "checklist" and "sales funnel" are indistinct gibberish. For a marketer - a marker that a person understands the realities of our work. And there will be more confidence in him than in a beginner who does not even know elementary terms.
Exactly the same markers are in other social groups.
That is the danger: if the terminology is used incorrectly, do not withstand intonation, and be unconvincing at all, then an impostor will crack into you and the technique will work in the negative.
We use the method when:
- We write advertising for social networks from the first person;
- communicate with the audience on the forums;
- conduct a blog on behalf of the user of products;
- imitate an imaginary situation in the text.
Also, the reception is suitable:
- When your audience - representatives of a subculture with its own language and traditions. For example: teenagers, rap fans, mommies, businessmen, feminists, etc.
- When the participation of strangers is completely inappropriate. Men cannot write about women's intimate procedures (with the exception of doctors: they are asexual, by virtue of their profession). A representative of another denomination cannot write about religious rituals.
- When the text on the site is written not on behalf of the company, but a specific person (for example, on the freelancer site).
The process consists of three parts.
- We collect a portrait of the target audience.
- We collect information about her language.
- We think over the argument.
We need to know the following about the person on whose behalf we are writing:
- gender and age
- the level of education,
- key values.
Let's say we sell products for babies. Our typical client is Anna, a woman of 25 years old, the mother of a four-month-old baby, on maternity leave, with average income, has a higher education. She is an active user of social networks. Her main interest is the child, his health, development and well-being. She is engaged in needlework, trusts the opinion of other mummies, but she is doubtful about advertising.
Collection of information about the language of the audience
To find out how your audience expresses your thoughts, the easiest way is to go and look at the places where it lives: on websites, forums and groups in social networks.
What information interests us:
- slang, specific expressions;
- appeal to the audience ("girls", "rebz", "dear members of the forum", "who is alive?", etc.) and the manner of communicating with each other ("on you" or "on you", respectful, caustic, soft, hard, etc.);
- emotionality, emoticons, speech dynamics, number of interjections;
- mate, domestic curses;
Most likely, Anna spends a lot of time on the forums in the company of other moms. To collect the characteristics of her language, I analyzed several hundred messages from the sites BabyBlog and Baby.ru, as well as from the community "Overheard by Moms" and in VKontakte. Several sites, because their internal rules can violate the purity of the study. At one forum prohibit mate, on the other allowed. In one place, it is customary to say so on some issue, on the other - otherwise. Therefore, it is better to collect information from several sites.
We collect the data in the list.
- Slang. Use affectionate expressions. To eat, kids, pap, soup. They indicate the age of the child exactly by month: 1.6 (instead of one and a half years), two and 8. They tend to use the pronoun “we” when it comes to the child (“we are already walking”, “we are already eating ourselves”). Moreover, slang appears only when they talk about children. When talking on other topics, baby talk is lost from speech.
- Appeal. Most often, "girls", sometimes "moms." They communicate with each other only on "you" and very respectfully.
- The speech is quite emotional, but emoticons are not abused, most often they put three brackets. Often use multiple punctuation marks: "!!!", "???"
- Mat is not used at all. Domestic curses are sometimes, but very rare.
We select the arguments
About how to collect information about the interests of the audience and to find arguments for selling articles, written more than one hundred books and articles. I will not repeat. I can only say that we need to understand what the client cares about, and what he absolutely does not pay attention to.
By the way, to collect information about customer needs, you can use review sites like IRecommend.ru or Otzovik, but to collect information about the language of the audience - it is impossible.
The fact is that when people sit down at a computer with the intention of writing a useful and informative review about a product, something in their head is overwritten and natural intonation is lost completely. As a result, reviews on websites look as if they were written by hired copywriters.
Suppose Anna picks up the milk mixture. What worries her most?
- Composition. She does not want palm oil, GMOs and preservatives in the mix. Experienced moms confidently talk about the ratio of protein and casein in the composition, but this is the highest aerobatics. Our heroine can't do that.
- Baby health. Anna wants the child to have a normal stool, not to have colic and regurgitation. Note that unceremonious discussion of physiological manifestations is another characteristic feature of mommies' speech.
- The consistency of the mixture, its ability to get divorced without lumps.
What is Anna not paying attention to? On the packaging, for example. Although some mommies say that the mixture in cans is more expensive. But this is not the information that should be reported in advertising.
That is, if Anna begins to write in the text that the mixture is sold in innovative hygroscopic packaging, it will be a fiasco. While the packaging is in order, she does not pay attention to it at all.
The text written by Anna will look like this.
"We are 4.5 months old. At the YV since birth. We eat the“ Kid ”mixture. I like it very much. There is no allergy, the stomach doesn’t hurt, it almost doesn’t spit up. that the mixture is diluted without lumps. If you are interested, go to my shop, I put up a few cans for sale. "
Please note that in Russian there are expressions that are used only by men or only women. For example, women do not use the appeal "dear ladies". Men do not refer to each other "boys." Keep this in mind if you are writing for a different gender audience.
Do not make mistakes to give the text of humanity. People write without mistakes, and the texts are quite lively and convincing. It is better to avoid complex syntactic constructions with colons and dashes. The same applies to long or English product names.
People may be enthusiastic about any purchase or service, but only if it is something revolutionary or super-useful. In normal cases, excessive delight looks unconvincing. It is best to completely abandon the value judgments in the text.
"A friend recommended this site," "accidentally bought this product," "the children presented a gift certificate," etc. All this attempts to justify themselves, to give more credibility to the text. This is extra information. No need to create an alibi for yourself - no one suspects you of anything yet.
Finally: how ethical is this?
It is hard to say. How ethical is it on the part of the seller in the offline store to instantly mirror the buyer, adjusting to his speech and manner of behavior?
And if we invent companies with a mission, values and corporate identity, what prevents us from inventing a person? Explanation: A company is a registry entry and a large round seal. Everything else is invented by marketers, designers and directors who work in it.
It seems to me that the edge of ethics lies between the seller and the buyer. It is possible to invent a seller who himself uses his product, tests it and recommends buyers. This is a normal marketing technique. It was unethical to invent a simple buyer who took advantage of the product and allegedly wrote a review about him completely disinterestedly. This will be a shameless lie.