Advertising is among the tools of content marketing. In the conditions of the deafness of the audience to commercial messages, marketers are looking for effective methods of advertising, through which they manage to attract the attention of the audience to the brands and their products. For example, the number of such methods includes contextual advertising in search engines. The secret of its effectiveness is simply explained: search engines show users ads for goods and services in which they are interested.
Advertising on Facebook is similar to contextual advertising in search engines. However, it surpasses the latter in some parameters of efficiency. In this article, you will learn how to properly use advertising on Facebook.
Why you need advertising on Facebook
According to MOZ, you need to spend $ 32 in order to see 1000 readers in your newspaper ad. With Google AdWords, you can display an ad for 1000 users for $ 2.75. And for your Facebook ad to see 1000 potential customers, it’s enough to spend 25 cents.
Notice again, you can show the ad 4,000 Facebook users for just one dollar. Unlike ads in newspapers, on TV or radio, you can monitor cost effectiveness. Advertisers on Facebook have access to the advertising campaign monitoring system, like AdWords users or Yandex.Direct.
Advertising on Facebook allows marketers to draw attention to content, brand and products at relatively low costs. In other words, advertising in the largest social network in the world is among the most effective tools for marketing your content, brand and products.
Facebook Advertising Basics
There are three types of advertising on Facebook:
- Advertisements in the ad unit (right column). This is the cheapest type of advertising, and ads in the ad unit have the lowest CTR.
- Announcements in the news feed. This is the most expensive type of advertising. Newsletter ads have the highest CTR.
- Ads in the mobile news feed. These ads are important if you want to reach Facebook’s mobile audience.
You can choose one of two ways to pay advertising: pay per click or per view. By creating an ad, you can predict audience reach even before the start of an advertising campaign. The advertising management system automatically determines the coverage, guided by your budget and the choice of the target audience.
If you are not comfortable with your intended reach, use an auction to increase the effectiveness of your campaign. Find the "Bids and rates" block on the ad creation page. Set the recommended bid for impressions or clicks.
How to choose a target audience
To target ad delivery, use the "Audience" block. The more accurately you select targeted users, the more effective the advertising campaign will be.
You can use one of three ways to select your target audience:
- Select audience on a demographic basis. This is the easiest way to target ads: you choose the desired place of residence, gender, age and other demographic characteristics of users. And the system ensures that your ads are shown to people in the selected category.
- Choosing an audience in accordance with the interests of users. This method allows you to target your ads to potential customers who are interested in certain topics of publications or products of any category, as well as demonstrated any behavioral patterns that are important from your point of view. You can combine demographic targeting with targeting by interest.
- Expanded focus on the audience involved. This option allows you to accurately target impressions to users associated with your brand page or event. In this case, you can specify the demographic parameters of the directivity. For example, your ad can be targeted to all men aged between 35 and 60 years old living in St. Petersburg.
According to the Canadian marketing company Wishpond, the targeting is done correctly if the potential reach ranges from 100 thousand to 500 thousand users. Lower rates indicate a too narrow focus of the advertising campaign. And higher coverage can lead to excessive spending.
How to attract targeted traffic
There are additional ways to precisely target advertising campaigns on Facebook. For example, if you have a Facebook page for a brand, you can customize your impressions for selected categories of users. To do this, in the "Audience" block, you must select the "User audience" menu.
Using this menu, you can import an existing database of respondents, for example, subscribers to RSS or Email newsletters, customers, etc. The Facebook advertising system will find the users you need by email addresses and show these people your ads.
Working with a user audience assumes that you are showing ads to people who are already familiar with your brand and content. This approach can be used if you want to increase the involvement of this audience in interacting with your business on Facebook. And if you want to increase the coverage, use the option "Similar users".
The "Related Users" option is available to advertisers using the "Custom Audience" menu, as well as a plugin for the Google Chrome Power Editor. Using this option, you can ensure that ads are shown to users with demographic, behavioral, and geographic characteristics similar to those of your existing audience.
By targeting ads to similar users, you significantly expand the reach of your advertising campaign. Here is one of the possible algorithms for using this option:
- Download the list of subscribers to your Email list to the Facebook advertising system using the "User audience" menu.
- Select the "Related Users" option.
- Create an ad that tells about an e-book, white paper, or other attractive downloadable content.
- Emphasize that customers can only get the book for free for 10 days.
Members are guaranteed to want to receive your free gift. Thanks to this they will get acquainted with your brand and content.
How to return departed visitors with the help of advertising on Facebook
The AdWords contextual advertising system allows you to return visitors who once visited your site. With the help of remarketing, you can provide contextual ads to users who have viewed certain pages of your resource. To do this, simply add the remarketing tag to your site code.
Advertising on Facebook also allows you to return users who have ever been to your site. Retargeting allows you to show ads on a social network to users who have visited your site. To use Facebook retargeting, you need to:
- Become a user of the service AdRoll.
- Add the code proposed by the service to the site, as well as replenish the account.
- Configure retargeting options. For example, you can customize the display of ads only for users who have visited the landing page of the site.
- Select the type of ad. AdRoll users can use the right column or recommended publication in the news feed.
- When a visitor to your site decides to check your Facebook account, the system will show him your ad.
According to AdRoll, the CTR of retargeted ads is tens of times larger than the CTR of traditional Facebook ads.
The most effective way to use Facebook ads
To effectively use advertising on Facebook, use the following recommendations from marketers at Wishpond:
- Use the "User Audience" menu to load the base of your subscribers into the advertising system. This tool works well if your database has over 10 thousand people.
- Use the menu "Related users".
- Offer your audience free downloadable content, such as an e-book. Instead, ask the users for an email address. Prepare in advance a series of emails that you will send to new subscribers.
- Make sure your ad attracts attention. If you choose to show in the news feed, use vivid photos that contrast with the cool colors of Facebook. Use headlines that emphasize the benefits of your offer. Make sure your ad text has a call to action.
- Experiment with ads. For example, try changing a photo or caption. Check which option provides the highest CTR.
Have you ever used Facebook ads? Tell us about your experiences in the comments.