In 2011, Google partially ceased to display data on search queries for which the transition to sites. Since last week, Google has begun to encrypt 100% of search queries worldwide. Recall that from the beginning of the current year, part of the search requests began to encrypt and Yandex.
These changes have deprived Internet marketers of an important tool for planning and evaluating the effectiveness of search campaigns. Experts have lost the ability to accurately determine which key phrases lead to the sites of users from Google and partly from Yandex. However, the actions of search engines did not lead to a search marketing crisis. On the contrary, marketers found alternative tools for assessing the effectiveness of promotion and learned how to use them. Read more about these tools below.
What tools and metrics can replace the report on Google Analytics traffic sources
Google is the largest search engine in the world, and Analytics can be called one of the most accurate tools to measure the effectiveness of website promotion. However, search marketers are rarely limited to using one tool and one search engine. And Russian SEOs do look at Google and its tools in the second place, focusing more on the leader of the domestic search market Yandex.
Internet marketers can compensate for stopping the display of keywords in Google Analytics using alternative tools. They are conventionally combined into three groups. The first group includes tools that define traffic-generating keys. The second group includes metrics that allow you to assess audience coverage and traffic. The third group includes metrics necessary to assess the response of the audience. Below you will find descriptions of each group.
Keyword Detection Tools
This group includes tools that allow, directly or indirectly, to identify key phrases that lead visitors to the site. These include the following tools:
- At the moment, Yandex.Metrika is an excellent alternative to Analytics. The report "Search phrases" of the Yandex analytics service allows you to view the keys that lead visitors from different search engines, since the data is encrypted in only 2-5% of conversions. Yes, now we don’t know what requests come to us from the Google search engine, but nevertheless, you can use information about the preferences of Yandex users to predict the behavior of Russian-speaking users of Google. In addition to Yandex.Metrica, you can use the Liveinternet.ru service to determine keywords.
- Services Yandex.Webmaster and Google Webmaster Tools. Selecting the menu "Search traffic - search queries" service for Google webmasters, you get access to the most popular keys that are used by site visitors. Search phrases are clickable: by clicking on the link, you can see the URL of the pages with which the keys are associated. The Yandex.Webmaster service also allows you to evaluate traffic-generating keys. To do this, the marketer must use the menu "Search queries - popular queries."
- Site search is a tool that allows you to indirectly assess the needs of the audience. By exploring user queries and pages that visitors go to, you can guess which keys are able to attract traffic from search engines to the corresponding pages.
You can also indirectly define search queries by analyzing landing pages for undefined phrases. To do this, in Google Analytics, select the menu "Traffic Sources - Keywords - Free." In the table that appears, select not provided. After that select the "Page" option. In the table that appears, you will see landing pages on which unspecified keys lead visitors. After analyzing the relevant pages, you can with a certain degree of accuracy determine the key phrases by which visitors find them.
Audience coverage metrics
Data on key phrases is just one of the tools for evaluating and planning marketing campaigns. However, the success of website promotion is more convenient to assess using an indicator of audience coverage. Using data on keywords, the marketer assesses how many visitors a certain keyword brought to the page. With the help of indicators of coverage specialist receives a more complete picture. He can estimate how many clients hit the page thanks to a set of search phrases, external links, advertisements.Audience reach is the total number of users who have read the marketing message during the selected time period.
The following metrics can be used to estimate coverage:
- Natural search traffic. This is almost the main metric for evaluating the effectiveness of search engine page and website promotion as a whole. Consider a marketing campaign successful if the project’s organic traffic grows. If the attendance of a resource increases due to unspecified search engines keys, you are on the right track. The fact is that analytics systems more quickly determine popular high-frequency queries. And low-frequency key phrases fall into the category of indefinite.
- Reference traffic. This indicator allows you to assess the attitude of users to the page and the site as a whole. If visitors find a page valuable, they link to it on other sites, blogs, forums and social networks. Natural user links generate targeted referral traffic. By the way, by the anchors of external links you can indirectly assess the needs of the audience. This assessment will help you plan your marketing campaigns.
- Total traffic. This indicator includes organic, referral, direct, bookmark and advertising traffic.
To evaluate traffic, you can use Google analytics systems and Yandex, Liveinternet.ru service and other tools.
Audience Rating Metrics
If the audience reach is a quantitative indicator, then the response of the audience refers to the quality metrics. To evaluate the reaction, you can use the following indicators:
Blog and media owners should pay attention to the number and content of user comments. The marketing campaign is effective if users actively comment on publications.
Not provided did not become a sentence for Internet marketing.
Stopping the display of keyword data by Google really deprives search marketers of one of the tools for evaluating and planning marketing campaigns. However, professionals should not despair. Firstly, there are alternative tools that allow you to determine traffic-generating search phrases. Secondly, by closing the key data, Google forces marketers to evolve. After the appearance of the Hummingbird algorithm, the role of keywords in determining page relevance has decreased. Therefore, professionals should think about other ways to assess and plan the promotion of resources. These methods should be marketing, not technical.