Cheating behavioral metrics is one of the surest ways to earn search engine sanctions. However, due to the struggle of search engines with reference spam, the importance of behavioral, among other factors ranking sites. In this article, you will learn how to properly improve behavioral factors without cheating and manipulation.
- How to increase the number of views and unique page views
- How to reduce bounce rate, increase the average session duration and the number of pages viewed per visit
- How to increase the information value of the site with the help of the data in the "Content", "Search in the site" and "Statistics page" sections
- How to increase site loading speed
- How to increase the number of likes, shareings and comments on the page
- How to increase the number of "likes", "sharing" and comments in social networks
- How to increase the number of external links
- Improving behavioral metrics is easy.
What behavioral metrics need to be affected
Open Google Analytics Behavioral Reports. This section of the analytics service will become your cheat sheet when preparing a plan for improving behavioral metrics for the site. On the "Overview" tab are the main indicators that you can improve:
- Views and unique page views.
- Average viewing time.
- The number of views per session.
- Bounce rate.
On the Site Content tab, note the following metrics:
- All pages and page attendance analysis.
- Login pages and exit pages.
This information will be needed to analyze the needs of the audience and increase the information value of the resource.
See also: Why cheating behavioral factors destroy your business and what to do about it
On the tab "Site Download Speed" you will find information that will help you make the site more user-friendly. Section "Site Search" will help to accurately determine the needs of visitors. Also a source of important data on user behavior will be the section "Page Statistics". And the section "Experiments" will help evaluate the impact of site improvements on audience behavior.
You can also influence the following behavioral factors:
- Number of likes, shareings and comments on the content page.
- The number of "likes", "sharing" and comments on social networks.
- The number of natural external links to the page.
Usually work on improving behavioral metrics is complex. This means that by improving one factor, you have a positive effect on others. However, it will be more convenient for you to plan and implement behavioral improvements in the context of individual indicators or their groups.
How to increase the number of views and unique page views
To increase the number of views, you need to increase the reach of your audience and drive traffic to the site. The following actions will help you:
- Make sure the site meets the technical requirements of search engines.
- Create and publish useful materials for the audience. They must meet the information needs of users. Publish materials regularly, use the widest possible semantic core to promote. This universal recommendation will be repeated.
- Announce publications in social networks. Publish links from a corporate account, and ask employees to make announcements or repost from personal accounts. Use relevant popular hashtags.
- Notify subscribers about new content via Email.
- Turn on the RSS feed. Set up a CMS site so that the tape displays only the announcement of the material. For a WordPress site, this is done like this: go to the "Settings - Reading" menu and put a tick in front of the "Announcement" option in the "For each article in the feed to display" section. Save the changes.
- Publish the content that users share and bookmark. These can be walkthroughs, tool lists, useful expert tips.
- Advertise content in contextual advertising systems. The more quality materials you publish, the more you will receive views.
How to reduce bounce rate, increase the average session duration and the number of pages viewed per visit
The listed metrics are connected with each other, therefore it is necessary to influence them in a complex manner. First, pay attention to the feature of accounting for failures by analytics systems. They consider a visit a refusal if the user has viewed only one page on the site. This does not always adequately reflect the situation. For example, a user can go to the site, study the material for 20 minutes and leave the resource by solving their problems. This is not a failure. To solve this problem, use an accurate bounce rate in Yandex.Metrica and a refined bounce rate in Google Analytics.
To keep the visitor on the page and encourage them to make transitions, use the following guidelines:
- Make sure your site is adapted for mobile traffic. Optimal use of adaptive layout.
- Make sure that the site is correctly displayed in popular browsers. To do this, use Browsershots or a similar service.
- Make sure that the design of the site does not deter users, and the content is readable.
- Create useful and interesting materials for the audience. Consider in detail the questions of interest to the user, publish instructions, lists, illustrations.
- Publish video on the site. This increases the user's time on the page.
- Refer to other content on your site that is relevant to current user interests.
- Create a reference section or "FAQ" section on the site and link to them.
- Announce content in blocks "Most Popular", "Most Commented", "Related Materials", in sidebar.
- Make the site search form visible.
- Make sure the site navigation is user friendly.
- Check if it's convenient to fill out forms with mobile gadgets.
- Make sure the homepage allows the user to easily find the information of interest. You can keep users on the site with the help of useful content, functionality and ease of use of the resource.
How to increase the information value of the site with the help of the data in the "Content", "Search in the site" and "Statistics page" sections
In the "Content" section you will find information about the most popular pages of the site, as well as the most popular pages of entry and exit.
- Analyze the most popular pages of the site. Is there something in common between them? Perhaps most often, users browse news, detailed reviews or product categories. Use the data to adjust the content strategy.
- Analyze the most popular login pages. What content makes your site visible in natural search? How many visitors get to the site directly? Create and publish more content that appeals to the audience.
- Analyze exit pages. Pay attention to design, informativeness, functionality. Perhaps the content of these pages need to be updated?
- See what your users are looking for on your site. To enable tracking, go to the "Administrator - View Settings" menu.
- Go to the statistics section of the page. Evaluate which menu items and links are most often selected by users. Think about how you can increase the functionality of the pages. Perform A / B testing to test your hypotheses.
See also: 62 variables for A / B testing
Use the section "Site Content" to improve the content strategy.
How to increase site loading speed
Download speeds are critical usability factors. Mobile users are considered the least tolerant category for slow loading of pages. However, owners of stationary PCs also do not like to wait.
Go to the site loading speed tab and follow the recommendations:
- Analyze the load time of popular pages compared to the average download speed. If important pages load slower than others, analyze why this happens. Pay attention to pages that load longer than three seconds.
- Go to the "Accelerate download" section and use the PageSpeed tips for important pages. Follow the recommendations of Google.
- Use the general recommendations to speed up the loading of sites.
Paying attention to the technical characteristics of the resource, you influence the behavior of users.
How to increase the number of likes, shareings and comments on the page
When users often put "Like" marks on the pages of your site, share materials with friends and comment on them, this indicates a high involvement of the audience. To stimulate user activity, use the following guidelines:
- Install a convenient form of social sharing on the site, for example, the "Share" block from "Yandex".
- Use the convenient form of commenting, for example, Disqus.
- Let comment on content without pre-moderation.
- To stimulate the shareings, publish useful content. To stimulate discussion, provocative content will do.
- Ask users questions, ask to share material or comment on it.
- Send links to your publications to industry-renowned experts. Ask them to spread or comment on the content.
- Publish guest posts. Materials of famous experts are popular.
- When users comment on your content, stimulate discussion. Ask questions, ask, argue.
If people see that the page and the site are "live", they will gladly join the discussions.
How to increase the number of "likes", "sharing" and comments in social networks
To stimulate activity, use the tactics listed in the previous section. In addition, you will need special techniques that work in social networks.
- Announcing the material, write a comment or explanation. Try to interest the reader. Use hashtags.
- With BuzzSumo, analyze the most "shared" materials on your site. Make adjustments to the content strategy.
- Make sure that the picture is displayed in the announcement. If this does not happen, pay attention to the basic types of micromarking site.
- Create a thematic group or public page. Announce in her materials.
- Publish announcements in third-party thematic groups.
- Mention in the announcements and comments of experts, active members of the community, your key followers.
- Ask your followers about retweets and use other tricks to increase your reach on Twitter.
- Use the power of social networks: shoot and publish a short video, create presentations, conduct live seminars.
Increasing audience involvement in social networks, you increase the relevance of your site.
How to increase the number of external links
Even if all search engines completely stop taking external links into account when ranking, your website will still need good backlinks. They bring users to your resource, tell about you the audience of other sites, form the authority of your site. To receive a lot of inbound links, use these guidelines:
- Create useful and high-quality content. Then you have already learned.
- Use a step-by-step plan to increase the reference mass.
- Use additional legal link building tactics.
- Try broken link building. In the English segment of the network, this tactic works.
- Create a useful service or industry reference guide for your audience.
- Publish entertainment-related content from time to time. It can be a selection of jokes, demotivators, funny incidents with your clients and employees.
Avoid manipulative link building tactics so as not to get sanctions.
Improving behavioral metrics is easy.
To improve behavioral metrics, you need to adopt the religion of Plato Schukin, Matt Cutts, and their colleagues. All these "think about users, create useful content, take care of design and usability" - these are not empty words. These are strategic recommendations that you can fill with concrete actions at your own discretion. Make the site the way you would like it to be if you became a customer of your company. In this case, users will behave well, and resource metrics will improve.