If you have a website and you would like to receive more targeted visitors:
- without creating and fine-tuning new content;
- without paying for contextual advertising;
- not communicating on thematic sites, forums, social networks
Do not read further, I do not know how to do it.
This article is about how to get targeted visitors or reworking existing materials on the site, or creating new ones. Without collecting and distributing semantic kernels for tens and hundreds of thousands of queries, but only due to the minimal analysis of your site and your target audience, which will take a maximum of 3-4 hours. The article will be useful if you have:
- local business selling goods or services (dry cleaning, service stations, delivery of building materials, consulting, legal services, etc.);
- a small online store with a product range of up to 1000 items (souvenirs, themed gadgets, sports equipment, etc.);
- website catalog type or a large online store (catalog of building materials, furniture, auto parts).
The main thing is to understand the principles outlined in the article; they can be applied in many niches and practically for any kind of sites. The exception is landing pages and business cards with a small number of pages.
What are the users looking for - your possible clients?
Unfortunately, for most businesses, the entire development of the site comes down to “it’s necessary that these 10-30-N requests were in the top 3”. Perhaps in the capitals with this better, but in the regions it is a standard picture. Perhaps that is why such demand for contextual advertising is good - the site is in the top 3, or at least on the first page, this is understandable to business.
At the same time, search engines do not make any secret from the statistics of user interests. These are the interests in Yandex:
Those. Data from statistics systems do not show more than 80% of requests. The coverage according to the “these 30 requests we want to top” scheme in reality does not cover even 1% of the area of user interests. And this is today's reality. On all the projects with which I dealt, without exception, more than half of the search traffic are visitors who came by tails.
These queries have zero or tiny frequency in Yandex WordStat and the keyword planner in Google Adwords. And these same visitors do more than half of conversion activities.
Let's look at the numbers for a small project:
74% of visits to landing pages were for requests that were only 1 or 2 go to the site. This does not mean that all these requests are "zero". 1 transition could be on a high-frequency request, due to the fact that the site on it is not shown in the first positions. Let's see how many of the 259 requests leading to targeted visits are really “zero”.
According to statistics from Yandex Wordstat and the Google keyword planner, there were 64 such requests. with the standard "SEO" approach, they would not even be taken into account when compiling the site structure.Of the 349 target transitions, 64 were on requests that are not in the statistics. This is 18%.
In addition, it was noticed on various projects (and not only by me) that the statistics are lying. For example, there is a small article on the site - the answer to one specific question. Yandex shows 11 requests per month, Google - 3. And here’s what Yandex Metric shows:
101 transitions per month. And this is not an isolated case, similar data can be seen on many projects of a wide variety of subjects.
Maybe this picture is not everywhere? Surely there are niches where all the traffic is in two and three-word queries, like “main request + price” and “main request + buy”, “main request + city”. Check in three different niches, and in one of them we will experiment throughout the article. And you will be able to check interest groups for your subject using this technique. So, take:
- Local business - delivery of concrete (Moscow);
- Medium business without geo-referencing - online store for crafts (Russia);
- Large project - air tickets (Russia).
- Content creation based on available data
- On the importance of semantic forms, synonyms, slang, transliteration
- The first method - synonyms, translit, slang
- The second method is to transfer existing content to the Internet.
- The third method is to reformat existing content.
- Commercial inquiries, which at first glance are not
- Technical goods
- Services - Local Business
- Effective and ineffective requests
- Check list - what can be done for your site
User Group Interests
Most site owners of similar subjects compete at best for the top 100 requests, which together do not give, and 10% of all possible areas of interest. Top 100 is still good, usually in regions it is top 5 (10.20).
This is primarily due to the lack of understanding of the principles of the search engines. For example, not everyone understands that 100 requests are almost impossible to promote in the top 10 in one page. Why one? Fanatic faith in one-page pages where every tenth visitor leaves a request - this is the reason for the emergence of dozens of similar sites of the same subject matter. At the same time, the main message of the landing page definition is simply ignored.Not the only page on the whole site, but a target that responds to the user's request. Such pages on the site can be 10, 100, 1000.
This is very clearly seen in Moscow, especially in competitive niches. For example, double glazing and glazing:
On this request, everywhere in the issuance of internal pages, multi-page sites, not a single landing page. And all (except the first) do not respond to the request - i.e. have a partial entry of words from the request into the page content, but no more. Please note - in the first place the site with the maximum entry in the title and in the description. A content page that responds to this particular request has every chance of getting into the top 10 within 2-3 months, in a very competitive topic, in the most competitive region.
Let's go to practice. In all three niches that I chose to study - check what percentage of requests fall on short and long requests (in fact, whether the situation is possible as with windows - when the competition goes off scale, and some requests are simply not covered). Delivery of concrete we take in Moscow for greater clarity.
We just check - the query in quotes is typed in the WordStat, with a repeat from 1 to 7 times, like this:
It should be understood that a single request does not cover the whole niche. For example, in the case of concrete, similar data should be collected in groups such as "concrete price", "concrete buy", etc.
This percentage was the result of three selected niches:
It turns out that, on average, in three niches more than 50% of the traffic are requests consisting of at least 5 words. Please note that prepositions are also considered words. Request "a ticket from Moscow to Vladivostok" - when using quotes in WordState it is considered five-word. In this case, the basic queries were initially selected commercial. If in the niche of needlework there can be a request of the type “how to open an online store of needlework”, then in two other niches there are practically no such requests.
How in one minute to find examples of interest groups of users who are interested in buying a product? Enter "quoted" 4-7 word query:
If you sell such threads, it is enough to make a filter system on the site in order to have a page on which the necessary goods will be displayed. Note that you do not need to do a lot of work, it’s enough to create a page and display the product that is already available in the online store.
If you provide services, it is enough to arrange on the website the data on the basis of which you provide these services. Terms, the procedure for providing services, it is highly desirable - prices.
Content creation based on available data
So, go to the most important. How to create content that attracts commercial traffic without time and money? First we will analyze where to get ideas for this content, and then how to create it.
On the importance of semantic forms, synonyms, slang, transliteration
Most of the traffic is missed again due to a lack of understanding of the principles of the search engines. Every year, search engines become smarter, and quite well understood synonyms, transliteration and words that have a similar meaning. Example:
In the example, Yandex highlighted (marked bold):
- synonyms (cars);
- transliteration (Ford);
- region (Moscow), although the city in the search is not specified.
If in popular niches everything works more or less correctly, then in specific areas it is still very sad. For example:
In addition to one site, everywhere in the top-5, a double construction is used — the official LBM and the slang Bulgar. Coincidence? I do not think, especially if you look at the statistics of WordStat and compare:
And here we go to the simplest method of obtaining additional commercial traffic to already existing pages.
The first method - synonyms, translit, slang
You need to study your niche, and just minimally correct the text content of the pages so that they contain synonyms, transliteration and slang. From the complicated here one thing is to put all this on the page harmoniously.
Re-read if it looks as if a drunk SEO worker is talking in a dream, recalling the year 2007 "If you want to order to buy PVC windows (they are double-glazed windows) in Moscow Zelenograd Chekhov, you can write to the address" - rewrite.
Here are some more examples where you need to move away from internal terminology and be closer to the potential consumer:
- Lada Kalina (400,000+ requests per month) and VAZ 2119 (909 requests per month);
- Automatic switch 32 a (2000+ requests) and automatic 32 a (3700+ requests)
- very well the variety of terms is played in the KVN scene, when the provincial is trying to buy a sweater, or a sweater, and he is being offered a cardigan, sweatshirt or cardigan.
However, some synonyms are not so obvious. Concrete delivery in Moscow was chosen as one of the experimental niches.
Here are several options for queries, the meaning of which is essentially the same:
- delivery of concrete;
- buy concrete;
- price of concrete;
- order concrete.
Those. In addition to the synonyms of the phrase itself, the commercial prefix may also change. The search engine does not consider commercial consoles in your niche synonymous, and you do not use several options? So you do not receive part of the commercial traffic.
The second method is to transfer existing content to the Internet.
This method is more suitable for services than for product lines. How in the same PVC windows in regions content responds to user requests? We look:
We turn to the essence of the second method - everything that is not a commercial secret of an enterprise, but may be of interest to a client, is laid out on the site. For the same windows - did a commercial offer? Posted on the site. A window of such and such size with such a profile and such a glass unit with the installation and dismantling of November 20th last year cost 7,000 rubles. Time costs are minimal.
The third method is to reformat existing content.
This method is more suitable for online stores, but is generally suitable for any site with a catalog structure. I think everyone knows the legend about the creation of chess, which illustrates the geometric progression. In a nutshell, the inventor of chess asked, as a reward, to start with 1 grain of rice and double the quantity on each cell, of which there are 64 on the board. In all of India, there was not enough rice to pay for it.
How does this apply to an online store? If you have a product that has certain characteristics, you can combine them by getting new pages. Technical implementation may be different, the principle is important.
Instead of one page "Women's down-padded coats", you can immediately create 20+ pages at a quick glance of interest groups, displaying the corresponding product on each page. Those.
- Women's hooded down jackets;
- Canadian women's down jackets.
- The scheme does not indicate colors. You understand that this man's down jacket can only be red or dark red. A female can be terracotta, burgundy, scarlet, cherry ...
We recall the legend about chess - what if someone is looking for women's Canadian down jackets with a hood? And we remember the beginning of the article - more than 80% of requests are not shown in the statistical systems.So, just by multiplying the characteristics once, we get at least 400 pages, each of which contains a product relevant to the query. And if you can apply this scheme to your subject - you will have a huge scope for creating new content.
If you think that everything written is fiction - see the issue, for example, on this request:
This is the issue on February 25, 2017.
Commercial inquiries, which at first glance are not
Let's move away a little from the issuance and requests in the direction of how the need is formed to buy a particular product. It is unlikely that the average resident of Moscow, arriving home, thinks “urgently need to buy a cube of concrete M400”, or “I will take revenge on my neighbor - I will buy a puncher”. If you exclude niches with a wow effect, usually a need arises first. If the product or service is not trivial - a comparison, a choice.
And this stage is overlooked by very many. And in some topics, the influence at the selection stage is difficult to overestimate. These queries are commercial:
- What laptop to buy for work in 3D max?
- What camera to buy for a beginner photographer?
- What is better metal or corrugated?
The example with a professional flooring is slightly dragged behind the ears, since the consumer is not lucky from Moscow to Krasnodar, even if he really likes the article on the site. But if this article is on the dealership site, and the dealer is in every 100,000 city - the picture may be different.
On requests with photos and a laptop, information materials will be provided, and there will be no online stores in the top 5. Although it is online stores could make the coolest information material based on reviews. Check:
Any more or less complex technical device has not only technical characteristics. He has a particular purpose. And the demand is formed and the technical properties of the product, and its usefulness to the consumer. For example, some products are divided into professional and "amateur". We look:
And before you buy, some of the users are looking for "what" or "best." And here is a completely different picture - if with the prefix "buy" in the issuance of the page of online stores, then with the prefix "best" only two sites in the top 5 indirectly offer goods:
The rhetorical question - and what, an online store of printing equipment is not able to host a rating of goods in the form in which the ratings are presented on other sites?
These were more or less obvious examples. Let's look at a couple of examples from different niches in order to understand that such interest groups of potential customers are practically everywhere.
Last year we already saw last minute tours, but it was a direct commercial inquiry. On request "What to see in Halkidiki" - 3 of the top 5 sites one way or another offer a vacation in Greece.
And what other information can look for before you choose a ticket? For example, such:
Explicit information requests with the prefixes "what", "how", "which" agile tourist sites have already been processed, but there are still a lot of white spots. Practically any major tour operator can create an excellent information page that will bring together “warm” visitors based on the advertising content he has.
Services - Local Business
Here is an example - companies are ready to pay for advertising, but they are not ready to pay for the creation of content on their website one-time or create it themselves.
In services for the local business group of client interests is easy to find. Suffice it to recall that you are asked by phone, via Skype, in the mail. What questions ask the sales department. All this - the finished material for the site. Usually this:
- Prices, discounts.
More usually all these questions contain the words "how much", "when", "how", "where".
The biggest discovery of such interest groups is waiting for you if you analyze the site statistics in Google Analytics and Yandex Metrics - namely, search and advertising phrases, which were followed by links to your site. On some projects, where there is at least annual statistics - you can observe an interesting picture - namely, to see a part of those 80% of requests that are not shown in statistical systems. This is how it looks visually:
All significant are marked in red. In numbers:
- -According to Google Analytics and Metrics to the site, there were transitions from search engines on more than 2900 phrases (lower left corner).
- -7% of them were for queries consisting of at least 8 words.
- -All requests from search engines and Yandex and Google search tips collected at different time intervals for 2 months do not contain as many phrases as were going to the site (the maximum number of requests is 955, and in analytics systems it is 2900+).
And this picture can be observed on almost all sites. Exceptions can be attributed only to one-page pages - there is simply no such amount of content that the site shows 1000+ requests.And just these groups of requests, according to which customers have already passed to your website, are the most valuable information, because you will most likely not receive it from any open sources.
How on the basis of these data to improve the site in two minutes? Допустим, 5 человек в месяц перешли на страничку "о нас" с запросом "срок оказания услуги X в Nске", потому что именно на этой странице написано "Сроки оказания услуг в нашей компании самые быстрые, потому что мы молодая перспективная компания". Улучшите сайт, напишите реальные сроки. И даже если посетителей не станет больше - из следующих пяти трое могут стать вашими клиентами, просто потому что сроки их устраивают.
Эффективные и неэффективные запросы
The material would be incomplete without simple instructions - how to make 20% of the work that will bring 80% of the result. Not everyone has the opportunity to create even a meager amount of new content on the site. But any site already has existing pages, each of which can bring a little more customers than it has brought so far.
Throughout the article, I talked about the interests of users for which there are no good answers in the results of search results. But those 20-30 "fat" requests for which all competitors compete (price, buy, order, etc.) have not gone away. And the most important thing is to correctly identify these requests. Two approaches usually prevail:
- As large as possible base frequency;
- As much as possible accurate frequency.
To make it clear what it is on the example of the same request:
- The phrase without quotes contains the main query + tails + word forms. Those. not only "concrete delivery" but also "concrete with delivery", "concrete delivery price". This is the basic frequency.
- The phrase in quotes contains the query + word forms - i.e. "concrete delivery" and "concrete delivery". This is the exact frequency and not everyone pays attention to it, but in vain.
- The phrase with quotes and exclamation marks is the exact frequency - this is exactly the number that Yandex searched for this query for the last month, typing literally, without declension, the plural.
If you pull out all the groups of interests of users, and sort them out by the basic and exact frequency, we get the following picture:
It can be seen that almost half of the requests with the maximum base frequency has a phrasal and exact frequency close to zero. Almost always it means that a reference to such requests does not always give traffic, since This whole request consists of other, more "small" ones.
For example, the request "price of a cube of concrete with delivery" consists almost entirely of less "fat" requests:
And sites that are in the top 5 for this request are not always in the top 5 for the same request with a "tail":
Extradition is completely different, it was worth adding one word. Therefore, in the case of limited opportunities (for example, your contractor creates 5-7 new pages per month) you should focus on those groups of clients' interests, the top positions on which are guaranteed to bring visitors.
These are the most effective requests. They have:
- the ratio of the base to the phrase frequency is more than 0.5;
- query frequency as much as possible.
If I had to select only one request for the site, I would choose underlined in red. But no one bothers you to choose at least one main request for each of the existing pages of your site.
Almost all effective queries consist of 4 or more words. And the most important thing is that your site be at least in the top 10 for such requests is not enough "old school" search engine optimization:
- a sheet of seo text is more than 1000 characters than competitors;
- Required percentage of phrase entry;
- phrases make bold;
- buy links.
We really have to make one of the best pages for this request, relying on the interests of potential customers. Slightly higher was the example of issue on request "cube of concrete m300 price with delivery". Here are the sites in the TOP on this request:
All that is written above - working ways to get more visitors, often with minimal time and money. This is not a freebie, here you need to think, speculate, experiment. Check in your niche. All this works thanks to the fact that despite the increasingly complex ranking algorithms (Yandex indicates already more than 1000 influence factors, Google too), one of the basic principles is still textual relevance of the site page to the user's search query.
Simply put, textual matching of a user's request with title and description tags, titles and subtitles, content on a page is not a guarantee for the growth of visitors, but one of the basics. Like gasoline for Formula 1 is not a guarantee that the car will come in the top ten. But if there is no gasoline - no matter how beautiful the car is and an experienced racer - there can be no talk of first places.
Continuing the analogy with the race - you can not win the Paris-Dakar rally on the ZIL Uncle Anton, no matter how cool he did not consider. If the site does not meet the requirements of today's realities and is objectively several times worse than the competitors in all respects - it will not linger in the top 10, even if it turns out to push it there using some “holes” in the search results algorithm. And finally:
Check list - what can be done for your site
- Check if you have Google Analytics and Yandex Metrics counters installed. If a commercial site receives at least 10-20 visitors per day from a search, you will most likely find out the new interest groups of your customers.
- If the site has more or less similar pages (product cards, a page about the service, etc.) and some of them obviously collect more visitors - analyze why. On the basis of this data, improve the remaining pages.
- Think about which interest groups your customers are divided into. Does your site have content for each of the groups? This is a bit contrary to the basics of marketing - "know your target audience and work with it." This is all true, but no one bothers to sell both a low-cost airline ticket and a business class on one site. You just have to do it on different pages.
- Collect the highest possible online statistics for your niche. It is not long if you understand this, or inexpensively - if you do not understand. Usually, after this stage, the question "what else would you write on the site" disappears by itself.
- Check if more than 50% of your visitors actually enter requests longer than three words, see which requests clearly indicate customer needs. Put them in a separate file and work out first.
- Use on the existing pages of the site synonyms, slang, transliteration, which are not yet considered synonymous with the search engine algorithm.
- Can existing offline materials be "packaged" for a website? Anything that does not contradict business ethics will fit - calculations, cases, examples, advertising materials, etc.
- Look for the ability to "multiply" existing content. For example, in the catalog of floor tiles to create pages for the most massive interest - street, square, Italian. Square street. Italian 50x50 cm
- In the seasonal themes from year to year there is a demand for the same thing (remember the "last minute" tours for the year ahead?). Try to find this application in your subject (or at least correct the year for 2017, already March).
- Attract customers at the stage of choice, and not at the stage when he is simply looking for where it is cheaper and more convenient. Find pre-sale interest groups and give an answer to them - this is a plus for both expertise and trust and sales.
- Pay attention to the long queries in the statistical systems (and especially those for which there were more than 2-3 visits to the site) - these are the interest groups that cannot be found in publicly available sources.
- If in your niche frankly "weak" issue - take time to work with effective queries. Doubling the number of applications / purchases in 4-6 weeks is a reality.
- Sure that your site is definitely worse than the competition? The best thing you can do is improve the site itself. Do not try to win the rally on the old ZIL.
If you have questions - you can ask them in the comments to the article.