Many Internet users consume content on the go. They cannot afford to take the time to read ordinary articles and reviews. Therefore, these people skim through the news feeds on social networks, give a few likes, listen to a podcast with an overview of the latest issue of the analytical weekly and run somewhere further. Speak, let them run? The problem is that these runners are your audience, and you need to communicate marketing messages to them.
Hurrying people of the Y and Z generations need alternative content formats that allow them to quickly get information in compressed form. One of these formats are slide-presentations, combining the informativeness of texts with the attractiveness of visual content. In this article, you will learn about working with slide hosting SlideShare - the most popular social service for creating and distributing presentations.
The best definition of SlideShare was invented by Michael Arrington, founder of the TechCrunch startup blog. In October 2006, when the service was presented to the public, Mr. Arrington noted: "SlideShare is like YouTube for slide presentations." This definition explains the two main properties of the service. First, it is a hosting for the publication and storage of presentations. Secondly, it is a social platform whose users actively interact with each other.
SlideShare is suitable for publishing non-advertising marketing content. We are talking about materials that satisfy the information needs of the audience. Content published on SlideShare has the same features as traditional text publications on blogs and websites:
- Narrative. Presented slides tell the audience a marketing story. This is how a presentation differs from an advertising poster.
- Structured. The author of the presentation can combine information into semantic blocks by analogy with textual content. In presentations it is appropriate to use the heading and subheadings.
- Conversion Publishing content on SlideShare is converted into useful marketing activities: calls to sales, registration, orders, etc. The author of the presentation has the ability to use calls to action in the form of clickable links. The effectiveness of these links can be monitored using UTM tags.
- Branding The author has the ability to brand slides using the logo, corporate colors and other visual attributes. Brendbooks of many large corporations contain an approved slide template that each employee can use to create presentations.
At the same time, SlideShare provides you with additional features that authors of traditional text materials do not have. The main ones include:
- Focus on the visual channel of information transfer. Slides include visual content and text. Images, graphs and charts provide the speed of transmission and consumption of information. Some slides may contain only graphic elements or only text. However, in general, presentations provide the ability to visualize verbal information.
- The ability to reduce the amount of text content without losing information value. The audience reads your texts and watches your presentations. In practice, this means that the format of SlideShare presentations remains attractive for users who consume content on the go.
- The ability to include in the presentation as many slides as necessary to transfer information. When publishing text materials, you should think about the part of the audience that covers up their laziness and lack of organization with niasilil and multi-tabuf interjections. Slide presentations allow you to outsmart such lazy people: if a person has started flipping through slides, he will most likely view the presentation to the end so as not to quit what he has begun.
The SlideShare resource is integrated with social networks, therefore, the published content falls into the news feed of your subscribers and is replicated.
How to create presentations
Start creating a presentation with planning. Determine what you want to tell the audience and how your slides should look. Select software or online service with which you can create slides. This can be the well-known PowerPoint, LibreOffice Impress, the online service Haiku Deck and other tools. Prepare visual components for creating slides: images and infographics.
If you are working with an online service for creating presentations Haiku Deck, start by choosing the default theme.
Then select the type and layout of the slides.
When creating slides, pay attention to the following recommendations:
- Title slide. This slide should attract the attention of the audience, as it will be displayed as the cover of the SlideShare presentation and in the news feeds of social network users. Choose a large font size so that the title is visible and readable.
- Organizational slide. If you are preparing a long presentation, offer the audience an organizational slide. Indicate in it the main blocks of information that you submit to readers. This can be a simple list or a visualized slide.
- Information slides. Combine text and visual objects. Focus on definitions, facts, comparisons. You do not need a detailed presentation: it is enough to briefly describe the basic facts and illustrate them.
- Ensure that graphic elements, including images and infographics, are as large as possible. Many readers will view your presentation on the smartphone screen, so they are uncomfortable to study small images.
- Please note, SlideShare does not support animation, which is available to PowerPoint users and other services for creating presentations. Therefore, instead of a single animated slide, you will have to create several static ones.
- Use callouts that draw the user's attention to a specific message or infographic element.
- Use CTA in the form of hyperlinks. As noted above, PowerPoint and other slide creation tools support this functionality.
How to upload a presentation to SlideShare
If you are using the Haiku Deck platform, use the Export menu in the upper right corner of the screen.
You can immediately publish your presentation on SlideShare or save it in .ppt and .pdf formats. By choosing the .ppt format, you can edit the presentation. If you want to print a document, choose the format .pdf. If you are confident in the quality of the presentation, choose an immediate post on SlideShare.
To upload an edited presentation to SlideShare, use the Upload menu.
After downloading, specify the name of the presentation, select a category, add a short description and tags. Use the See Mobile Preview menu to evaluate the readability of the presentation on the screens of mobile gadgets. Save changes (Save & Continue button).
You have posted a presentation. Now tell about it to subscribers in social networks. You can also insert a presentation on a website or blog by copying the code from the Embed Code field.
You can also send a presentation to friends and colleagues via email. To do this, go to the presentation viewing section (View Presentation button) and use the Email this presentation menu.
Presentation performance statistics are available at the bottom of the view page.
SlideShare: Text Visualization Tool
Some members of your audience do not read articles and reviews due to lack of time. Offer them SlideShare presentations. This format allows you to combine text and visual content. SlideShare is integrated with social networks, which is very convenient to use to distribute content.